Thursday, May 10, 2012

CENTERFOLD: UTAWIT Through the Years by Irene Kaneko

CENTERFOLD:

UTAWIT Through the Years
by Irene Kaneko

From merely an idea eight years ago, the seeds of UTAWIT were sown in the hearts and minds of a few eager and enthusiastic individuals. These seeds were germinated with passion and love. From a few individuals to a flourishing number of concerned groups, from designated regions to the whole nation of Japan, UTAWIT has grown strong & blossomed into a force that would not only promote culture and brotherhood through music but alleviate the lives of less fortunate children.

Now on it’s 8th year, UTAWIT continues to grow in size and number with a noble purpose to give and reach out. Like a flower, Utawit blooms to promote and recognize Filipino talents as mainstream performers in Japan. Like a plant, Utawit aims to develop seeds to enrich cross-cultural appreciation and understanding among Filipinos and Japanese. And like a tree that gives comfort and nourishment to people, Utawit aspires to give hope and better lives to less fortunate families by starting to help educate their children.

Indeed, Utawit, starting from a few seeds, has grown more in number as more and more groups all around Japan unite in sharing Utawit’s vision and mission.

Every year, through Gawad Kalinga, the Utawit Felicity Sibol School was created to change and make better the lives of pre-school children. By helping create positive lives while they are small, we are already creating a better future not only to these children and their families but to the whole world, as well. Like trees in a forest, we are all connected to each other one way or the other. What we give to others, we give to ourselves, also.

In this issue, we asked  winners from the time it started to the current winners how UTAWIT had changed their lives.


Cristina Kanakubo, Saitama
Utawit 2005
2nd Place Winner


For me, joining Utawit was a dream come true! It gave a spark again to my one true love which is singing. Before Utawit, I was just a plain and domesticated housewife. Winning in Utawit 2005 (the very first Utawit) opened many doors for me and my world became bigger! (^_^) I met many people in the many Filipino events I was invited to sing as Utawit winner. It paved the way to open my own business, Karaoke Ponpoko(^O^//, in Saitama. I am now giving voice lessons as well! My husband and 2 kids are very supportive of me. They are always there with me in all my activities.  Utawit really gave back my self-esteem and confidence. ARIGATOU! MORE POWER
\(^o^)/CRIS2005
----------------

Maricar Riesgo, Tokyo
Utawit 2006
Grand Champion


Utawit has changed my life that well coz I had a great chance to meet all the Filipino community here in Japan!!! Most important thing, I was able to connect with them, share what God has given me, inspire more amazing Pinoy singers to join Utawit & be proud to explore their God-given talent.
---------------

Arnel Castillo, Tokyo
Utawit 2007
Grand Champion


How did UTAWIT change my life? I earned the respect of people when they come to know that I was an Utawit winner. It feels good that people respect you even though they don't personally know you. "Respect" is what Utawit made of me.

Most importantly, an Utawit winner should constantly support its objectives in their own ways. I love singing but I don’t earn a living by it. So, I promote Utawit to friends and to those who have talent in singing. I've tried to find time to attend auditions and the Grand Finals as support coz being there makes me feel always a part of Utawit.
---------------

Richard Martinez, Tokyo
Utawit 2007
3rd Place winner


About "UTAWIT”, nung mag-join ako, napa-kasaya ko at lalong mas nagkaroon ako ng lakas ng loob sa mga singing competition. Nung manalo ako, mas lalo ko pang dinevelop yung singing career ko kaya po malaking pasasalamat ko sa UTAWIT dahil nabigyan ako ng chance na maipakita ko ang talent ko sa pagkanta at sa mga co-singers ko. Never stop singing hanggat hindi nyo naaabot yung dream nyo na manalo sa mga ganitong Singing Contest.
-----------------------
Mercy Ebara, Tokyo
Utawit 2009
Grand Champion


When I won Utawit 2009 as the grand champion, I was overwhelmed with happiness. I also felt that I was really lucky because I won in a prestigious contest that's known all over Japan. For a long while, I actually stopped singing when I got married. But my victory in Utawit 2009 brought many changes in my life. Since then, my passion for singing was brought back to life. There have been numerous offers to me here and there and I could be even watched on You Tube that adds to audience. Most importantly, I'm gaining a lot of fans! Oh, I mean friends :) At present, I’m grouped with a Japanese band with whom I experience to perform in big occassions such as birthday parties, wedding, christmas parties, reunion and get-together parties and many other kinds of celebrations. I've been always busy that sometimes I am having difficulty to divide my time because I also work everyday. Despite the busy schedule, I am really grateful that I won in Utawit because I get to interact with different people and others even become my friends. If only I am allowed to join the competition again, I'd love to! Because more than the winning, I have a chance to help my less fortunate kababayan living in the Philippines through Gawad Kalinga-Sibol. Therefore, to all my kababayan here in Japan, I am inviting and encouraging you to join in the Utawit Regional Qualifying Rounds nationwide. Who knows, you might be the next lucky champion! To all the great people behind Utawit, thank you very much. If it's not for you, the Utawit singing competitions would not have been successful. MABUHAY UTAWIT! I wish you all good-luck!
---------------------
Bernard Palad, Kyoto
Utawit 2009
2nd Place winner


Singing has been my passion since I was 10 years old. I've only joined some school competition and never tried bigger competition. My passion brought me to live in Japan. Then, after years of stagnant singing career, my innate competitive soul persisted when somebody asked me to try join another contest... and that was UTAWIT. I sang my heart out and won 2nd place in 2010 Grand Finals. UTAWIT became my greatest foundation in my singing career. Winning in this prestigious contest boosted my confidence to represent not just myself but the entire Filipino community in Japan. It broadened my horizon and open new doors to share my talent. Recently, I got an offer from a Japanese label company to produce my first ever album. With all humility, I dedicate my forthcoming album to my fellowmen and I will be forever grateful to be part of UTAWIT!
----------------------
Dave Aguilar, Kyoto
Utawit 2010
Grand Champion


Definitely, Utawit changed my life. When I won, many people in Osaka and Kyoto were able to know that I can sing. They started to invite me in different events that help me to earn extra money. I received more invitation when I decided to live here in Chiba. I was one of the front act singers twice in Aegis Band concert. Thank you very much to my friends and also my family here in Japan, Romeo Paala, Suzette Paala and Nakahashi family. They helped me to transfer from Osaka to Chiba. I met them because of Utawit.
-------------------------
Marlitz Abangan Ishioka, Aomori
Utawit 2010
2nd Place winner


I miss UTAWIT !!! First and foremost, I am very thankful for having this event every year, for reuniting all Filipino talents in Japan. I'm proud to be part of UTAWIT. It has changed me in a sense that it added confidence and self-esteem in me. Made me think that the road is still "narrow and long" for us, though predicaments go our way, the spirit of artistry conti-nues.

Despite the crisis Japan is experiencing right now, especially the TOHOKU region, I believe that through singing I can do my part to lighten the hearts of the sad. Thank you UTAWIT, for bringing me back to my inclination, singing. Thank you God, for this wonderful gift.
----------------------
Mark Warren de Luna, Tokyo
Utawit 2011
Grand Champion


This Utawit experience made me believe in dreams again. Dreams like to be noticed with what you think you are good at. My self- confidence in singing really came back. I thought being here in Japan working as an Engineer will not give me the chance to do my one great passion. Utawit gave me that chance to continue fulfill my dreams.

I get to be invited to perform in some events here in Japan. Some private gatherings like performing for our Philippine Ambassador to Japan (Ambassador Manuel M. Lopez) at the official residence, which I never thought I could have the chance. It was such a great honor and overwhelming experience. Invitational performance to charity events have been a blast. Performing and reaching out to our in-need kababayan at the same time proved that singing is also sharing. As Utawit in the first place is not just a singing competition or a network to promote Filipino Talents but also a charitable organization. Utawit opened the door for me to meet good people and gain friends here in Japan.  I am really proud to be a part of Utawit. It sure is one of my memorable moments in my life that I would love to share to everyone.
----------------------

Florence Liwanag, Chiba
Utawit 2011
2nd Place winner


Utawit made me more inspired to show my singing talent and always do my best in my singing performance. Basta pilitin po ninyong makamit ang tagumpay. Masarap makasama sa Grand Finals ng  Utawit. Napakasaya! At masarap din pong makatulong sa kawang-gawa na magamit ang inyong talento sa pag awit. Pagkapanalo ko sa Utawit, naimbitahan ako agad isa sa mga front act singers ng batikang Band singer tulad ng Aegis at marami pang iba. Masarap din na ma invite as special guest sa mga events. Maraming salamat, Utawit!
------------------
Melita Gumatay, Fukuoka
Utawit 2011
3rd Place winner


At first ayaw ko po talagang sumali sa UTAWIT kasi nga parang napanghinaan na ako ng loob sa pagsali sa mga ganyang patimpalak dahil madali akong kabahan at wala akong tiwala sa sarili ko. Pero ng malaman ko na ito ay para sa mga bata na nangangailangan ng tulong thru Gawad Kalinga-Sibol. Agad kong naisip na sumali na. Sabi ko, “LORD, give me a chance na makapag share ako ng tulong sa mga bata na ito.”  Pero hindi marahil kaloob na manalo ako nung unang sumali ako noong 2010. Sabi ko na lang sa sarili ko, ang importante ay nakatayo ako sa stage na yun at nakapag share ako ng awit. I remember pa, may nakasabay ako na isang contestant na malungkot sa elevator dahil hindi kami pinalad nung time na yun. Sabi ko marahil may ibang plan si LORD. Ang importante ay nakapag share na tayo ng malaki noon. Dahil kung wala tayong mga contestants, hindi mabubuo ang event. So marahil ang masasabi kong nabago sa akin ay kung may ganitong mga events na for charity, kailangan i-grab ito dahil ito ang chance na mai-share ang kung anong talent mayroon ang isang tao na makakatulong sa kapwa nya. Hindi ko makakalimutan ang UTAWIT dahil nakatulong ako sa pamamagitan nito at nakarating pa ako sa Tokyo for the first time kaya galak na galak ako.



No comments:

Post a Comment